Boarding at Cedar Ridge
Send your dog on his/her own vacation. They get to play all day, rest up comfortably & safely at night to get up and have FUN all over again the next day!
We are located on Mays Rd 2 mins from the highway for easy access. We have 6 foot high fenced pens, 1/2 acre in size each. Inside new, large kennels at night.
If you’re going away – don’t send your dog to a “kennel” – send them on their own vacation! We believe dogs need to run and play, not sit in a cage all day! Dogs are only in their safe kennel space at night. Give your dog an exciting, stimulating vacation.
Daycare & Boarding
Cedar Ridge is one of the only facilities in the Cowichan Valley where dogs can be outside running and playing in an open play setting on acreage. We believe dogs should not spend their days locked up. Our dogs enjoy a property filled with large Cedar trees, Fir trees, pasture, playhouses & fun obstacles. Each dog is fed and sleeps in their own area where they are able to see their friends. We place each dog near a dog they liked during the day. The dogs are tired from a day of playing and sleep quietly with their friends around them.
Our dogs spend most of their day in one of our 4 play yards. We divide dogs by size, play styles, and energy level. Dogs must be well socialized to be in this environment. All dogs require TWO trials prior to boarding to view temperament and allow your dog to feel comfortable prior to your vacation. This starts with a 1 hour trial and then for boarding a 24 hour trial if they show nice doggie etiquette during the 1 hour trial. We make every effort to work with doggie parents on problem behaviours if we can. Please ask us how we can help your pooch integrate well into our setting.
Our dogs are our best testimonials. Most dogs know they are coming to play as soon as their owner’s turn onto Mays Rd. You will be amazed to see how excited your dog will be when he comes back again and again to Cedar Ridge. Your dog will have his own vacation or “second home”! Please see our facilities page to learn more about our canine resort.
The safety and well-being of all our dogs is our top priority. For this reason we are quite strict in our process for integrating new dogs.
We require all new dogs to begin with a 1 hour trial. This is a chance for us to meet the dog and observe their behaviour, both with humans and with other dogs. We slowly begin to integrate them with other dogs at a pace that is suitable to the individual. At the end of the trial, we will discuss with you what we observed and what the next step will be. While some dogs have no problem integrating into the main pack in one or two visits, many take longer than that to settle in, and we want to be able to accommodate them accordingly. We will discuss with you any problem behaviours, and are more than willing to work with you and your dog if you are committed to working on the behaviour. *Note: There is a $25 charge for the 1 hour trial. This is because of the additional attention we pay to your dog to observe their behaviour and introduce them to their new friends.*
Upon successful completion (and a PASS from us) of the 1-hour trial, you may bring your dog for daycare whenever you wish. There is no need to call or book ahead, just come on over during our regular hours (Mon.-Fri., 8-5:30) and drop them off.
In order to maintain your dog’s comfort level at Cedar Ridge, we do prefer to see them in our daycare on a fairly regular basis. Most dogs are very attached to their humans and can stress when left behind. We want to see happy dogs having fun, not pining for you all day. Many dogs do best by starting with half days and then working up to full days as their confidence improves.
We also require an overnight trial prior to boarding your dog for any length of time. This allows us to assess their behaviour and comfort level in the kennel environment. *The trial is in NO way a guarantee that you can book your dog in when you go away-your dog must PASS first. We do not tolerate any problem behaviours and are selective on who we take for boarding, as it is for the welfare of your dog and everyone else staying at Cedar Ridge. We may suggest that more daycare visits are needed before we will accept the dog for boarding. PLEASE BOOK THE TRIAL FAR IN ADVANCE!*
Upon successful completion of the overnight trial, you are welcome to bring your dog to Cedar Ridge for their own personal vacation when you are heading out of town for any length of time. All boarding visits MUST be pre-booked as space is limited! For extended visits, we do offer every 14th day FREE!
- successful completion of the trial visit(s) – see above
- Shots up to date (DHLPP & Bordatella -”kennel cough”) Please vaccinate with Bordatella (prefer the Intranasal) at least 5 days prior to stay. If your dog can not be vaccinated or you prefer holistic methods, we gladly except titre tests or will offer you a waiver to sign instead.
- Deworming done regularly. We will also except if your dog is dewormed herbally (you must present us with the brand of herbal dewormer)
- Your dog MUST be neutered or spayed, unless they are less than 6 months of age.
- Be free of parasites, worms, fleas, mites & any other contagious aliment (such as an eye infection)
- Due to bad experiences and the nature of the breeds we will no longer be accepting Huskies, Malamutes or Akitas.
- If your dog is aggressive, we will recommend training with us or otherwise before boarding. Most aggression cases can be solved with the proper training and consistency in the dog’s life. Due to our open play style set up with NO kennel runs we can not accept aggressive or poor social skills. Your dog must be well socialized with experience and/or comfortable with dogs in a pack-like setting.
- Your dog should respond to the command “Come” or “Come here” and his/her name and warmly respond to strange people.
- Your dog must be relatively obedient and free of major problem behaviors (for example: non-stop barking, chewing, digging, fence climber, fence jumper etc). We provide a safe, fun environment for well mannered, socialized dogs. We are very selective. Not every dog is suitable for daycare and we don’t take any chances. If we have any doubts about a dog’s suitability, we will turn them away or help you with a SLOW integration and/or training. We also go for quality, not quantity. Our goal is not to fit as many dogs into daycare/boarding as we possibly can. Instead, we want the atmosphere to be relaxed, positive and pleasant for all our guests!
If your pup sounds like he does not meet the social etiquette requirements please see our TRAINING PAGE
1 hour trial – $25 • two dogs (same family) $30 • three dogs (same family) $35
Half day – $16 • two dogs (same family) $20 • three dogs (same family) $30
Full day – $20 • two dogs (same family) $25 • three dogs (same family) $35
Nightly rates - charged per 24 hour period
One dog – $30 • two dogs (same family) $40 • three dogs (same family) $50
Long-term boarding discount: Every 14th day FREE!
*Overnight trial rates same as one night’s board*
7661 Mays Rd, Duncan, V9L 6A8
Hours of Operation*
Closed Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays. (Pick up and drop off of boarding dogs between 8:30 - 9:00am ONLY - MUST be prearranged.)
*Except scheduled classes - see below
Winter 2015 Drop-In Classes
Forest Agility: Sundays 11:30am
Wacky Wednesday: Wednesdays 7:15pm
*NO CLASSES WED. JAN. 21*
Winter 2015 Group Classes
Etiquette: Sundays 10am starting Feb. 1
Agility: Mondays 7:15pm starting Feb. 2
Puppy Class: Mondays 6pm starting March 2
Cheeky Dog: Mondays 6pm starting March 4
Canine Games: TBA
See Training page for more info.